This 16th century estate consisted of the main building (palazzo) and two other houses (guest houses). Each member of the family had their own residence, and lived within the walls of the estate. In this way their individual privacy was assured. Arched doors and windows, arcades with small marble pillars, huge entrance gates with coats-of-arms and various reliefs, pebbled courtyards and frescoed ceilings, all offer uniqueness in the architectural style of each house with period furniture.
Architecture: In the 14th century, the Genoese aristocracy of Chios selected this area to build their mansions. High walls of stone, from the village of Thymiana in Kambos, protected the mansion from dust, winds and the cold. Elaborate cisterns, decorated with marble motifs and spouts, are a central figure in the courtyards. Shady pathways leading to secluded corners and beautiful gardens provided privacy and quiet for those who wished to enjoy the tranquility.
Gardens: In 1954, a local laborer was sent to Ventimiglia, Italy and Nice, on the Cote D'Azure coast of France, to be educated in the fine art of gardening. He spent some time at Villa Hambury in Ventimiglia, where he learned the art of landscape gardening and how to maintain a typical Ligurian formal garden, which is the present form of the Argentikon gardens.
Flashback: The Argenti family was one of many families which came to Chios from Genoa in order to administer activities on the island on behalf of the Genoese Republic during the period of the Genoese Occupation of Chios (1346 to 1566). The Argentikon estate was built around 1550 and was used exclusively as a summer residence for the family. Each member had their own residence, and lived within the walls of the estate.
In 1920, Philip Argenti returned to Chios following the earthquake of 1881 and engaged a famous British architect, Sir Arnold Smith, whose specialty was medieval Genoese architecture. The restoration and rebuilding of the estate continued for approximately forty years.
In 1974 Marchese Lorenzo Argenti, the only son of Philip Argenti, inherited the estate. While living in Chios he improved the electrical system and made extensive changes to the gardens. He had the unique opportunity to welcome and provide accommodation to Kings, Queens, Presidents and Ministers from all over the world.
In 1998, under new ownership, extensive renovations took place restoring the ambience and beauty of this 16th century Genoese estate. After a multi-million dollar renovation, the entire Argentikon Estate has been transformed to one of the most perfect examples of medieval Genoese architecture in the Levant.
Press & Awards: During the ownership of Lorenzo Argenti the Argentikon estate became member of the French Association, “La Vie de Chateau”, an entity which grouped together 141 castles throughout Europe. In 1991, the famous International magazine "Harpers & Queen" selected Argentikon to be amongst the 100 best Villas (beauty and maintenance) in the world. In 1990 the Minister of Culture in Greece Mrs. Melina Merkouri designated the Argentikon a “Historic Monument”.
Argentikon Luxury Suites, the 5* - All Suites Boutique Hotel at Chios, Greece is honoured to receive the ''Diplome de Merite et de Prestige National’’ award for its Tourism and Gastronomy services. This distinction is legislated by the ''Comite de France’’ of the ''Le journal du Parlement’’ the official French Parliament press and is awarded to establishments of exceptional accommodation services and fine gastronomy.