Le Chateau d'Artigny
Grandes Etapes Francaises
Open All Year... The Chateau d'Artigny, a magnificent 18th century style edifice was built by the famous perfume creator, Francois Coty with its shining white stone is set off perfectly by the green of the 50 acre Park surrounding it.
The Chateau d'Artigny, a magnificent 18th century style edifice
was built by the famous perfume creator, Francois Coty with its shining white
stone is set off perfectly by the green of the 50 acre Park surrounding it.History
Built during the Hundred Years' War, the Chateau d'Artigny formed part
of the defense system constructed along the Indre River around the Montbazon
Keep. On 30th July 1912, Joseph Spoturno, known as Francois Coty, the famous
perfume maker, bought the Chateau. Attracted by the site he had the Chateau,
which was in a rather patchwork architectural style, demolished, in order to
build the present Chateau in a pure 18th century style. Building lasted from
1912 to 1929.
At his death in 1934, the Chateau was sequestered by the demand of his many
creditors. In 1940, the Chateau was occupied successively by the Headquarters of
the Ministry of the Navy, by German troops up to 1942 and by an Annex of the
General Hospital of Tours. Finally, it became a temporary hospital once again
until 1946. When the perfume maker's daughter inherited it in 1947, several
offers to purchase it were made to her. Ultimately, it was Mr. Rene Traversac
acquired it in 1959 to transform the Chateau into a luxury Hotel.
The Chateau d'Artigny has welcomed a number of eminent people, such as
the Queen Mother of England and the Negus of Ethiopia in 1963. On 24th November
1973, the International Monetary Conference brought together at Artigny, the
Finance Ministers of the five greatest world powers including V. Giscard
- 143 miles from Paris, 6 miles south of Tours and 1 mile from Montbazon.
- Surrounded by a 50 acre park, an elegant French garden in front of it, the
chateau overlooks the valley of the Indre and the Touraine plain.
- From Paris: Motorway A10, exit n°23 for Chambray- Montbazon. Follow the
N10 for 4 miles till Montbazon where you turn right on the D17 toward Monts
- TGV from Paris-Montparnasse station ,1 hour trip, from Roissy airport ,1
hour trip, with the first departure at 07.45 a.m., St. Pierre des Corps
station ,7 miles, or Tours Centre ,10 miles, - link with TGV from Lille or
Lyons/Tours ,3 hour trip.
- Tours-St-Symphorien airport ,15 miles.
- Helipad on the estate.
Chef, Francis Maignaut, offers an inventive cuisine redolent of the region
based with products from the Garden of France. Fish from the Loire and meat from
To savour this cuisine, visitors can choose between 2 Dining Rooms and 3
Drawing Rooms, the Regency, the Rotunda and the Royal.
Francis Maignaut is as good a pastry chef as he is a chef. He does his own
marketing and is very demanding in order to serve nothing, but the best. He is
thus able to offer characteristic dishes of the region home grown.
- 2 tennis courts
- I-hole pitch and putt practice green
- Signposted walks in the 50-acre park
- Open-air heated swimming-pool
- Pool house with sauna, spa, fitness room
- Bowls, table-tennis, cycling, fishing
- Musical and theme avening at the Chateau
- Horse riding
- Hunting Aero club, 3 mies, flights over the Loire Valley chateaux in a
small plane, helicopter or hot air ballon
- Visits to wine cellars
- 56 rooms and 2 apartments between the château, the Pavillion
d'Ariane ,50 metres across from the chateau and the Hunting Lodge ,600
- 7 Room at the Port Moulin on the Indre river bank, 800 metres